So tomorrow involves alot for most of the members of our house. Earlier this week Les finally received a call from the nurse coordinator at Accredo to set up an appointment for his first subcutaneous infusion. The only day this week they could offer him was Wednesday. It just so happens that Macey will be going to Egleston to the outpatient infusion clinic to receive her first dose of Hizentra (the subq medicine that will be replacing Vivaglobin). So almost at the exact same time they will be infusing together.
Les's nurse will come here to the house and educated him on how to draw up his medicine, prime the pump and stick himself. Then start the infusion, deaccess the needles and finish up. His immunologist has ordered Benadryl and Tylenol by mouth if he needs it but he should do just fine. Before I leave with Macey I will show him how to put on his Emla and that will help.
Macey will take her medicine and her supplies to the clinic in Atlanta and although she has self infused by subq for over 4 years now she has to be observed at clinic when switching brands. So her appointment is more about being babysat than being educated.
After her infusion we will go to lunch and then return for an appointment with her immunologist. I hope to be able to go over some results from genetic testing done and we have a new symptom of dizzyness/rapid heartbeat to talk about. I was hoping the fast heart rate would resolve but even though it does go down at times it does always go back up. It should be a good visit and I will update as soon as we're done.
Please pray that Les will have a good first infusion and no reactions (site or body wise) and that Macey will also tolerate the new product well and have a productive clinic appointment.